Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Full Circle: Aleisha's Job


Okay, so clearly I am not very talented with the whole blogging thing, but I have decided to try to do a little better, now that we have some exciting things going on to actually talk about.

In March I applied for an internship to fulfill my final year of college. Instead of taking over someone else's classroom, I will be the full time teacher, have my own classroom, get paid half salary, and get full benefits. It is a much better option in many regards and luckily I was chosen and offered a job as either a 4th or 6th grade teacher in the Salt Lake City School District at Newman Elementary School.

I have worked so hard for this and am so excited to finally start teaching in a few months. I guess life has a funny way of working itself out, since I will be teaching in what is now considered an urban school with 80% hispanic studnets (good thing I minored in Spanish)and what also used to be my mom's elementary school many years ago, in fact her house can still be seen from the parking lot. I feel truly blessed to have this opportunity and look forward to many life lessons and experiences....

I felt all grown up on Monday when I drove all the way into downtown Salt Lake to turn in my contract at the district office. I was all grown up turning in tax documents and proof of my right to work here, giving them bank information for paychecks...all that stuff used to seem so scary, but I am a working girl now and all of that comes with the territory.

No comments: